From the smallest smartphone to the largest television, our lives increasingly revolve around screens.
The New Multi-screen World
, a report from Google in partnership with Sterling Brands and Ipsos, studied more than 15,000 media interactions among 1,611 participants to better understand how consumers engage with screens. The report found 90 percent of media interactions are now screen based, attributing the remaining 10 percent to radio, newspaper and magazine interactions. All in all, people spend 4.4 hours of leisure time in front of screens everyday.
Why are people so addicted to their screens? People feel more efficient juggling several screens because they can act spontaneously search, shop, work and tweet. This leads to a sense of "found time," the report notes.
While TV was once able to command our full attention, 78 percent of consumers now juggle different activities on multiple screens. They're also using their devices simultaneously in complementary ways, largely centered around (social) TV.
Watching television spurs many consumers to perform searches on their smartphones and computers. Because of this, the report notes that businesses shouldn't focus entirely on conversion goals, since the screen of contact (eg. TV) can lead to interaction on another connected device.
Though people have their favorite devices for certain activity (eg. watching movies on TVs, short videos on tablets, etc.), a third of consumers aren't that picky, choosing the device that's closest to them to perform a given task.